Meketa Invesment Group, Inc. is an institutional-centric financial advisor firm located just outside of Boston. This is a large firm, employing many financial advisors who oversee billions in assets. These funds belong to a range of institutional clients, including pension plans, government entities and businesses. The firm's hallmark offerings include general investment consulting, private market advisory services, outsourced fiduciary services and more.
Aside from its Westwood headquarters, Meketa runs branches in San Diego, Miami, Chicago, Portland and New York City. It even has an international branch in London, U.K.
Meketa Investment Group Background
Meketa was founded in 1974 by James Meketa, who now acts as managing principal and chairman and has over 40 years of experience. It wasn't until 1978, though, that the firm became incorporated. Around 70 of Meketa's employees own the firm's shares, along with James Meketa.
Among Meketa's financial advisors, there are a number of certifications. These include for chartered financial analyst (CFA), chartered alternative investment analyst (CAIA), chartered life underwriter (CLU) and chartered financial consultant (ChFC).
Meketa Investment Group Client Types and Minimum Account Sizes
Meketa works with a variety of institutional clients, including Taft-Hartley funds, public funds, foundations, endowments, corporations, non-profits, defined benefit plans, defined contribution plans, health plans, other post-employment benefit (OPEB) plans, voluntary employees' beneficiary association (VEBA) plans, family offices and more.
Meketa does not have any minimum account size requirements.
Services Offered by Meketa Investment Group
Meketa offers a variety of investment management services to its clients. These include:
- General consulting
- Initial fund review
- Investment policy and asset allocation design
- Liability and liquidity review
- Manager evaluation and selection
- Fund coordination
- Fund reporting
- Board, staff & trustee education
- Private market advisory services
- Strategic planning
- Pacing analysis
- Investment policy creation
- Partnership analysis
- Legal review
- Program review
- Cash flow coordination
- Outsourced chief investment officer (CIO)
- Full investment discretion
- Complete portfolio management, including investment selection, due diligence, approval and more
Meketa Investment Group Investing Philosophy
General consulting services usually incorporate long-term policy and asset allocation creation, along with advisor selection. The firm seeks to put clients in a position to succeed. To achieve this, it uses statistical models, scenario tests and other instruments to help deliver consistent advice and reports in a meaningful way.
Meketa's private markets advisory and portfolio management services also have a goal of delivering consistent results. The firm uses strategic planning, private market investment analysis, program monitoring and cash flow coordination to make this a reality. The firm places an emphasis on due diligence and thoroughness.
Meketa still aims to take a personal approach to financial advising, and will work with clients to help them invest the way that they want to. This involves taking into account their risk tolerance, time horizon, liquidity needs and other factors.
Fees Under Meketa Investment Group
Meketa Investment Group doesn't have specific fee tiers, as most of its advisory fees are negotiated on a client to client basis. The firm can charge fixed fees, asset-based fees or hourly fees.
Annual fixed fees typically range from $1,000 to $2.5 million, depending on the complexity of the client's situation. Fees based on a percentage of assets under management range from 0.03% to 0.50%, while funds that are committed to a specific asset class range from 0.25% to 0.30%. Hourly rates vary from $250 to $850 - again, based on the complexity of the services needed.
What to Watch Out For
One thing worth noting: Meketa only works with institutional clients, so individuals are not a part of its client base. If you're an individual looking for a financial advisor to help you get your finances in order, try using SmartAsset's free advisor matching tool to find a financial advisor in your area.
Opening an Account With Meketa Investment Group
If you're an institutional client looking to open an account with Meketa, you can go online to its website and submit a form. You can also call (781) 471-3500 or reach out by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All information is accurate as of the writing of this article.
Retirement Planning Tips
- Looking for a financial advisor who works with individual investors? Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with up to three financial advisors who serve your area, and you can interview your advisor matches at no cost to decide which one is right for you. If you’re ready to find an advisor who can help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- If you're primarily looking for help with your retirement planning, you might start by using our retirement calculator to see if you're on pace to hit your retirement goals. Don't forget to also use our Social Security calculator when planning out your retirement income. Once you have an idea of how much more money you need to hit your retirement goals, an advisor can put together an investment plan to get you there.