Johnson Brunetti, also known as JB Capital, is a financial advisor firm based in Wethersfield, Connecticut. The firm provides several types of services, including investment management, financial planning, consulting and occasional educational seminars. This is a fee-only firm, meaning its only revenue comes from clients.
Johnson Brunetti is ranked among the top firms in Connecticut by SmartAsset.
Johnson Brunetti Background
Johnson Brunetti opened in 2003, but it only registered as an investment advisor with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in 2014. The firm is a wholly owned subsidiary of its parent company, Financial Retirement Solutions, LLC. The firm has secondary offices in Needham, Massachusetts; Franklin, Massachusetts; Atlanta, Georgia; Milford, Connecticut; Newtown, Connecticut; Old Saybrook, Connecticut; Avon, Connecticut; and Chesire, Connecticut.
The firm has six certified financial planners (CFP) on staff as well as one chartered retirement planning counselor (CRPC), one certified kingdom advisor (CKA) and two retirement income certified professionals (RICPs).
Johnson Brunetti Client Types and Minimum Account Sizes
The vast majority of Johnson Brunetti's client base is made up of non-high-net-worth individual clients, as less than 5% of individual clients have high net worths. The firm also works with several corporations and businesses.
Although there is no minimum investment requirement for opening an account with Johnson Brunetti, the firm does follow a couple of minimum fixed fees:
- $1,000 fixed fee minimum for financial planning services
- $1,000 fixed fee minimum for consulting services
Services Offered by Johnson Brunetti
Johnson Brunetti's advisory services span investment management, financial planning, consulting and educational seminars. Here's a breakdown of what's available within each of these groups:
- Investment management
- Based on the particular financial situation of each client
- Typically provided on an ongoing basis
- Regular portfolio rebalances and reevaluations
- Financial planning and consulting
- Estate planning
- Tax planning
- Retirement income planning
- Long-term care insurance planning
- Asset protection planning
- Educational seminars
- Focuses on financial planning
- Centered around general insights rather than specific planning
Johnson Brunetti Investment Philosophy
Johnson Brunetti tailors its investment advice and strategies to fit the needs and objectives of its clients. In order to do so, the firm collects important information about each client's personal situation, such as their risk tolerance, time horizon, liquidity and income needs, investment preferences, investment history, net worth and any other relevant factors. In general, the firm sticks to securities like stocks, fixed-income, options, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and mutual funds.
This firm and its team of advisors mainly use fundamental analysis to evaluate potential investment opportunities for clients' portfolios. These decisions are further informed through the use of research materials from a variety of sources, including financial newspapers, annual reports and even research prepared by third parties. Investment strategies typically involve some combination of long- and short-term trades.
Fees Under Johnson Brunetti
Investment management fees at Johnson Brunetti are charged based upon a percentage of each client's overall assets under management (AUM). Although shown in annual percentages, the fees below are calculated and charged on a monthly basis, in arrears.
|Investment Management Fee Schedule|
|Account Size||Annual Fee|
|$250K - $1MM||1.50%|
|$1MM - $2MM||1.20%|
|$2MM - $3MM||1.00%|
|$5MM and up||Negotiable|
Here is the estimated dollar amount you'd pay in advisory fees based on the size of your account:
|*Estimated investment management fees do not include brokerage, custodial, third-party manager or other fees, which can vary in amount.|
|Estimated Investment Management Fees at Johnson Brunetti*|
|Your Assets||Johnson Brunetti Fee Amounts|
Financial planning and consulting fees are typically negotiable and charged as a flat rate. These fixed fees usually fall between $1,000 and $5,000. Consulting fees are slightly more expensive ranging from $1,000 to $10,000.
What to Watch Out For
Johnson Brunetti is a fee-based firm that employs advisors who receive commissions for selling specific insurance products. This is a potential conflict of interest, as these advisors have an incentive to recommend certain insurance products over others. Despite this, Johnson Brunetti abides by fiduciary duty, meaning it is legally obligated to act with the best interests of its clients in mind at all times.
Opening an Account With Johnson Brunetti
To become a client of Johnson Brunetti, call the firm at (860) 372-4800 or visit its website to schedule an appointment with a member of the team.
Tips for a Long-Term Financial Plan
- Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with up to three vetted financial advisors who serve your area, and you can have free introductory calls with your advisor matches to decide which one you feel is right for you. If you’re ready to find an advisor who can help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- There are low-cost alternatives to financial advisors. Consider purchasing financial planning software that can help you get your money and various accounts in order. SmartAsset's list of the best financial planning software programs is a great place to begin your research. You can also use a robo-advisor, which invests your money in a model portfolio for less than the cost of a traditional advisor.