Prime Capital Investment Advisors Review
Prime Capital Investment Advisors is a financial advisor firm headquartered in Overland Park, Kansas that manages just over $9.8 billion in client assets. The firm’s client base consists of individuals, investment funds, corporations and retirement plans.
As a fee-based firm, certain licensed advisors at the firm may receive commissions for overseeing certain securities transactions or selling insurance products. This differs from a fee-only firm, in which 100% of the firm’s compensation comes from client-paid fees.
Prime Capital Investment Advisors Background
Prime Capital Investment Advisors is a fairly young firm, having first opened its doors in 2017. While headquartered in Overland Park, the firm also has a presence in 14 other cities across the country. The firm is owned entirely by a holding company, Prime Capital Holdings, LLC, which in turn is under the ownership of managing partners Scott Colangelo and Tim Hakes, executive director Joe Hildebrand, CEO Glenn Spencer and financial advisor Joe Zdeb.
Prime Capital employs 99 advisors across its branches. Among them, one is a certified financial planner (CFP), one is a chartered financial analyst (CFA), one is a chartered financial consultant (ChFC) and two are accredited investment fiduciaries (AIFs).
What Types of Clients Does Prime Capital Investment Advisors Accept?
Prime Capital Investment Advisors has grown its client base to almost 4,400 since its founding less than five years ago. The vast majority of these clients are non-high-net-worth individuals. However, the firm also counts high-net-worth individuals, investment funds, corporations and pension and profit-sharing plans as clients too.
Prime Capital Investment Advisors Minimum Account Sizes
The minimum account size at Prime Capital Investment Advisors varies depending on the investment strategy that guides your portfolio. These stipulations can range as low as $2,500 and as high as $1 million.
Services Offered by Prime Capital Investment Advisors
Prime Capital Investment Advisors has a handful of primary service offerings. These include asset management, within which the firm offers a wide range of wrap fee programs; financial planning services and advisory services for retirement plans and plan participants; and investment funds. Here’s a more detailed breakdown:
- Asset management
- Genesis Series – Passive, index-based strategies
- Generations Series – Passive, index-based strategies offering a more focused equity component across specific sub-asset classes
- Ambassador Series – Actively managed risk-based strategies
- Diversified Income Strategy
- Core Portfolios
- Satellite Strategies
- Sector Rotation Strategy
- Focused Equity Strategy
- Tactical U.S. Equity Strategy
- Tactical International Equity Strategy
- Focused Yield Strategy
- Select Alternative Strategy
- Total Stock Portfolio
- Covered Calls Strategy
- Custom Strategies
- Focused Yield PLUS Strategy
- Alternative Investments
- Private Offerings
- Absolute Return Strategy
- Managed Account Allocations for Plan Participants
- Qualified Retirement Plan Sponsor and Trustee Services
- Collective Investment Funds Services
- Financial Planning Services
- Navigator Plus
Prime Capital Investment Advisors Investment Philosophy
Prime Capital relies on a combination of the following methods when analyzing potential investment recommendations:
- Bottom-up investing: The process of evaluating specific companies and securities before looking at higher-level elements like industries, sectors and macroeconomic factors.
- Top-down investing: The opposite of bottom-up investing, this method starts by evaluating the economy at-large, then examining sub-components incrementally.
- Charting: A method in which charts are used to visualize movement in price, volume and other factors across time. Visualization helps to identify trends that can be used to forecast the future.
- Cyclical: The practice of analyzing stock price and volume movement within the paradigm of business cycles.
- Fundamental: An analysis in which the firm examines financial statements, management history and macroeconomic factors in order to gauge a stock or fund’s intrinsic value. This can then be compared to the market price to identify investments that are currently undervalued.
- Modern portfolio theory (MPT): An investment strategy that attempts to maximize the expected return of a portfolio for an agreed upon amount of risk. This is primarily accomplished via asset allocation.
Fees Under Prime Capital Investment Advisors
Prime Capital typically charges its clients a percentage-based fee for asset management services. Rates are negotiable based on a number of factors, like the size of your account. However, they typically vary between 0.50% and 2.50%.
For financial planning services, the Navigator Plus package is available for an $800 annual fee, while the Navigator Platinum package costs $2,400 per year. All other financial planning services come with either a fixed fee between $100 and $25,000, an hourly fee between $100 and $300 or a percentage-based fee of up to 1.00% of your assets.
What to Watch Out For
Prime Capital Investment Advisors is a fee-based firm. This means that certain Prime Capital advisors are separately licensed to sell insurance products, and may receive commissions for doing so. Additionally, some advisors are registered representatives of a securities broker-dealer, so they can earn commissions for overseeing certain securities transactions.
While this status brings with it the potential for conflicts of interest, keep in mind that Prime Capital Investment Advisors is still a fiduciary. Thus, the firm is legally obligated to act in its clients’ best interests at all times.
Prime Capital Investment Advisors has one disclosure listed on its Form ADV. The disclosure involves regulatory action brought by the Florida Office of Financial Regulation against Matthew Nelson, one of the firm's advisors. The disclosure concerns only Mr. Nelson, and the regulatory action occurred before Nelson was employed by Prime Capital.
Opening an Account With Prime Capital Investment Advisors
If you're interested in exploring a relationship with Prime Capital Investment Advisors further, you have a few different ways to reach out. On the firm’s website, you can fill out the provided contact form with your information and any questions you may have. To contact the firm directly, you can call the office at (800) 493-6226, or you can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where Is Prime Capital Investment Advisors Located?
Prime Capital Investment Advisors' home base in Overland Park, Kansas on College Boulevard, across the street from the Overland Park Convention Center. In addition to this location, the firm also has advisors in the following cities:
- Batesville, IN
- Cedar Rapids, IA
- Columbia, MO
- Columbus, IN
- Dallas, TX
- Denver, CO
- Houston, TX
- Marlton, NJ
- Minneapolis, MN
- Nashville, TN
- Omaha, NE
- Raleigh, NC
- Richmond, VA
- San Antonio, TX
- Springfield, MO
- Tampa, FL
Tips for Retirement Planning
- The relationship between you and your financial advisor is an important one to get right. Thankfully, finding the right financial advisor that fits your needs doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- Don’t forget to take Social Security payments into account when you formulate what kind of income you’ll need in retirement. If you don’t know what you’re in line to receive, check out SmartAsset’s Social Security calculator.