Recognized as a Best Private Wealth Manager by the Private Asset Management (PAM) awards (among other accolades), Mercer Global Advisors has consistently distinguished itself as a leading investment advisor. Mercer also ranks on SmartAsset's lists of the top financial advisors in Denver and Colorado, as well as the U.S. rankings.
Mercer is a large, fee-based financial advisor firm with its headquarters in Denver. The firm is responsible for tens of billions in client assets under management (AUM). Its client base consists primarily of individuals, though some institutional clients work with the firm. Mercer's advisors, who are spread across more than 50 offices throughout the country, provide services that range from financial planning and portfolio management to retirement plan consulting and even tax preparation.
Mercer Global Advisors Background
Kendrick Mercer founded Mercer Global Advisors in 1985. The firm was originally a law practice that focused on estate planning prior to becoming an investment advisory business with a stated mission of helping clients achieve economic freedom.
Mercer Global Advisors Client Types and Minimum Account Sizes
Mercer Global Advisors serves a wide range of clients, including high-net-worth individuals, non-high-net-worth individuals, retirement plans, corporations, charities and foundations.
In order to open an account with Mercer Global Advisors, you'll need at least $500,000 in investable assets. However, the firm reserves the right to negotiate that minimum.
Services Offered by Mercer Global Advisors
Mercer Global Advisors offers a wide variety of advisory services, each of which is designed to help clients achieve financial freedom by meeting their own individual goals. More specifically, the firm can provide clients with investment management, general financial planning, family office services, comprehensive estate planning, tax planning and retirement planning. When it comes to investment management, the firm offers a range of different strategies that include total return, defensive, income and alternative investments.
The firm also partners with Aspire Financial Services and FuturePlan by Ascensus to help design retirement plans and provide adminstrative services.
Mercer Global Advisors Investment Philosophy
Mercer Global Advisors looks to tailor its investment strategies and philosophies to meet the individuals needs of each client. While the firm has several different investment and sub-investment strategies, they all tend to incorporate the following:
- Strategically weighted investment selection
- Broad asset class and multi-factor diversification
- Separate account managers and institutional funds
- Attention to cost, like low fund expense ratios
- Systematic rebalancing to maintain proper risk and reward profiles
- Tax and retirement distribution planning and management
All strategies at Mercer tend to focus on a long-term approach. Therefore, advisors prefer to not engage in short-term, emotional market reponses. The firm invests in a number of asset classes and securites. It also makes a particularly strong effort to stick to core environmental, social and governnance (ESG) principles, as well as socially responsible investing (SRI) factors.
Fees Under Mercer Global Advisors
Mercer charges investment management fees based on the strategies a portfolio uses, along with the total AUM of the client's account. These services carry a minimum fee of either $2,400 or 2% of AUM annually. However, the more specific pricing structure is calculated based on the following ranges:
|Investment Management Fees|
|Assets Under Management||Annual Fee|
|$1MM - $2MM||1.00%|
|$2MM - $5MM||0.90%|
|$5MM - $10MM||0.75%|
|$10MM and up||0.50%|
Family office services also utilize the above fee schedule, with a minimum fee of $6,000. Financial planning and tax services are negotiated and calculated on an individual basis. Fees are billed on a monthly basis, either in advance or arrears.
Here is the estimated dollar amount you'd pay in advisory fees based on the size of your account:
|*Estimated investment management fees do not include brokerage, custodial, third-party manager or other fees, which can vary in amount.|
|Estimated Investment Management Fees at Mercer Global Advisors*|
|Your Assets||Mercer Global Advisors Fee Amount|
What to Watch Out For
Some of the advisors who work for Mercer can sell securities and/or insurance on a commission basis. While this is a potential conflict of interest, the firm and its advisors have a fiduciary duty to act in clients' best interests no matter what.
Opening an Account With Mercer Global Advisors
To open an account with Mercer, you can go online to the firm's website and either submit a contact form or schedule an appointment with an advisor. You can also reach out by email or over the phone at (888) 565-1681.
Tips for Financial Planning
- When working on your financial goals and objectives, it can be a great idea to talk to a financial advisor who can help you take steps in the right direction. Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with up to three financial advisors who serve your area, and you can interview your advisor matches at no cost to decide which one is right for you. If you’re ready to find an advisor who can help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- There are many certifications and designations that financial advisors can have. But if your principal concern is retirement planning, estate planning or any other iteration of financial planning, it may be a good idea to find a certified financial planner (CFP). These advisors have been trained in the identification of financial goals and the creation of plans to help individuals meet those objectives.
All information is accurate as of the writing of this article.