IPI Wealth Management is a fee-based advisory firm serving an array of individual and institutional clients. Headquartered in Decatur, Illinois, the financial advisor works with thousands of clients and manages over $1 billion in assets.
The firm has several offices throughout Illinois, as well as one in Texas and one in Wisconsin.
IPI Wealth Management Background
Founded in 1996 by principal owner David Koshinski, IPI Wealth Management mainly offers investment advisory services. In 1999, the firm registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission as an investment advisor.
Meanwhile, its affiliated broker-dealer, Investment Planners, Inc. (IPI), provides securities and brokerage services. Koshinski is the CEO of both IPI Wealth and IPI.
IPI Wealth Management Client Types and Minimum Account Sizes
IPI Wealth doesn’t impose a minimum account size for its clients, who include individuals and high-net-worth individuals, businesses, pension and profit-sharing plans, 401(k) plans, trusts, estates and not-for-profit organizations.
Services Offered by IPI Wealth Managemen
IPI offers the following advisory services:
- Portfolio management
- Private Portfolio Services: Active management of your porfolio based on your individual needs
- Digital Advisor: Online, automated investment advisory and wealth management service
- Financial planning
- Estate planning and estate goals
- Retirement planning
- Education planning
- Insurance planning/risk management
- Cash flow analysis
- Budget planning
- Tax planning
- Business continuity, succession and exit planning
- Asset allocation services
- Selection of other advisors, including private fund managers
- Educational seminars/workshops
IPI Wealth Management Investment Philosophy
IPI Wealth Management utilizes fundamental analysis to evaluate a security based on the well being of a company or financial entity. When analyzing a company’s value and stock price movement, the firm uses technical analysis. In offering investment advice, advisors employ one or more of the following investment strategies: long- and short-term purchases, margin transactions and option writing.
IPI Wealth also utilizes strategic asset allocation, and advisors normally invest in individual stocks and bonds, mutual funds, municipal securities, real estate investment trusts (REITs), and options contracts.
Fees Under IPI Wealth Management
IPI Wealth Management is primarily compensated through asset-based fees, hourly charges and fixed fees. The firm’s advisory fees are generally paid monthly or quarterly in advance or in arrears. For private portfolio, dual contract sub-advisory, model portfolio advisor and marketing and sales services, IPI Wealth receives asset-based fees. The firm charges clients in wrap fee programs a single all-inclusive fee.
Financial planning fees range from $150 to $250 on an hourly basis, but fixed fee arrangements can span from $750 to $5,000. For retirement plans, fees are generally negotiable. In some situations, advisors recommend clients use third-party asset management program (TAMP) services, and these services typically include IPI Wealth's fees as well as the third party’s fees. Other expenses clients incur include brokerage commissions, transaction fees, ticket charges, manager fees, custodial fees, deferred sales charges, transfer taxes and other related costs.
Below, we’ve listed the fee schedules for Private Portfolio Services and dual contract sub-advisory services.
Private Portfolio Services:
|Amount of assets||Management fee|
|$ 0 - $250,000||2.0%|
|$ 250,001 to $500,000||1.50%|
|$ 500,001 to $1MM||1.25%|
|$1,000,001 to $3MM||1.00%|
|$3,000,001 and above||0.75%|
Dual Contract Sub-advisory:
|Amount of assets||Management fee|
|Up to $25 Million||.50 - .75%|
|$25 Million to $250 Million||.40 - .50%|
|$250 Million +||.25 - .40%|
What to Watch Out For
This firm doesn’t have any legal or regulatory disclosures listed on the Form ADV filed most recently with the SEC.
IPI Wealth Management's individual advisor representatives (IARs) may earn commissions or additional compensation from recommending certain investment or insurance products and services. This can create a conflict of interest if advisors prioritize such products and/or services over client needs. While the firm has a fiduciary obligation to work in each client’s best interest, this is still important to consider.
Opening an Account With IPI Wealth Management, Inc.
IPI Wealth Management offers several options for getting in touch. You can email the firm by filling out a contact form on its website, visit its principal office or set up an appointment by calling (217) 425-6340.
All information is accurate as of the writing of this article.
Tips for Investing
- Just as it helps to identify risk tolerance, investment objectives and time horizons in investing, it’s equally important to make sure you’ve incorporated a diverse mix of assets into your investment portfolio. Strategic asset allocation can greatly increase your chances of successful returns. Our asset allocation calculator can help.
- Interested in working with a financial advisor but not sure where to begin looking? Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with up to three financial advisors who serve your area, and you can interview your advisor matches at no cost to decide which one is right for you. If you’re ready to find an advisor who can help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.