Beacon Pointe Advisors is a financial advisor firm that has grown to manage $5.5 billion since its founding in 2002. The firm employs more than 70 advisors and has its headquarters in Newport Beach, California. It places first and tenth on SmartAsset's lists of the top financial advisor firms in Newport Beach and California, respectively.
As a fee-based firm, some of Beacon Pointe's advisors receive commissions for selling certain insurance products, which represents a potential conflict of interest. Regardless, the firm abides by fiduciary duty to act in the best interests of its clients.
Beacon Pointe Advisors Background
Beacon Pointe Advisors was founded in Newport Beach in 2002. The firm is entirely owned by its employees, and Shannon Eusey is the primary owner of the firm, technically owning it through Beacon Pointe Holdings, LLC.
The firm employs 73 advisors in total. Among these advisors are 39 certified financial planners (CFPs), 17 chartered financial analysts (CFAs), two chartered alternative investment analysts (CAIAs), two certified public accountants (CPAs), one chartered life underwriter (CLU) and one chartered financial consultant (ChFC).
What Types of Clients Does Beacon Pointe Advisors Accept?
The majority of Beacon Pointe's more than 1,700 clients are individuals, with a nearly even split between those with a high-net-worth and those without. The rest of the client base includes pensions and other retirement plans, charitable organizations, government entities, insurance companies and corporations.
Beacon Pointe Advisors Minimum Account Size
To start a relationship with Beacon Pointe, the firm generally requires you to have at least $1 million in investable assets. However, the firm may decide to waive this minimum at its sole discretion.
Services Offered by Beacon Pointe Advisors
Beacon Pointe Advisors has no shortage of offerings when it comes to advisory services. Here’s a quick breakdown of what it can do:
- Consulting services
- Financial planning
- Investment policy development
- Asset allocation planning
- Manager and/or mutual fund search
- Third-party manager monitoring
- Performance evaluation
- Custodial search and selection
- 401(k) consulting
- Education services
- Asset Management
- Managed Account Program (combination of financial planning and investment management)
Asset management services at Beacon Pointe come in the form of its Managed Account Program. In some cases, the firm's advisors will manage client assets directly, but most of the time, the firm will recommend third-party managers to oversee a portion or all of client portfolios, then provide continuous reviewing and monitoring of these managers.
Beacon Pointe Advisors Investment Philosophy
Beacon Pointe will generally allocate client assets between no-load mutual funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs), real estate investment trusts (REITs) and private funds when managing portfolios directly.
Generally speaking, the firm follows a number of core asset classes that it looks to include in client portfolios. These are:
- U.S. Equity
- Non-U.S. Equity (Developed Markets)
- Non-U.S. Equity (Emerging Markets)
- U.S. Fixed-Income
- Global Fixed-Income
- Public Real Estate
- Private Real Estate
- Private Equity (Venture Capital, Buyout or Fund of Funds)
- Hedge Funds (Fund of Funds)
- Real Assets
Within each of these asset classes, Beacon Pointe may decide to adhere to different styles of investment. In other words, depending on the client's needs, the firm may utilize strategies like value investing, growth investing and more.
Fees Under Beacon Pointe Advisors
For its asset management services, Beacon Pointe Advisors charges a percentage-based advisory fee related to your assets under management. For institutional clients, this rate can vary from 0.30% to 1.00%, depending on account size. For individual clients, this range is 0.50% to 1.15%.
For consulting services, the firm may charge a fixed, hourly or annual retainer fee. They each go as follows:
- Fixed: at least $25,000
- Hourly: between $350 and $500 an hour
- Annual retainer fee
- Discretionary portfolios: between 0.20% and 0.50%
- Non-discretionary portfolios: between 0.08% and 0.35%
Opening an Account With Beacon Pointe Advisors
If you’d like to start a conversation with Beacon Pointe Advisors, you can contact the firm a few different ways. You can call its headquarters at (949) 718-1600, or you can send an email to email@example.com. Visit the firm’s website to find the contact information for its many regional offices.
Where Is Beacon Pointe Advisors Located?
Beacon Pointe Advisors has its headquarters in Newport Beach, California on Corporate Plaza Drive, near where MacArthur Boulevard hits Coast Highway. Additionally, the firm has regional offices all across California and the U.S., specifically in these cities:
- Fresno, CA
- Los Angeles, CA
- Campbell, CA
- Palm Desert, CA
- Riverside, CA
- San Diego, CA
- Santa Barbara, CA
- Scottsdale, AZ
- Boston, MA
- Philadelphia, PA
- Dallas, TX
- Summit, NJ
Tips for Finding a Financial Advisor
- It can be difficult to know what type of advisor makes the most sense for your situation. Luckily, finding the right financial advisor that fits your needs doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- Wondering whether you're on track to retire comfortably? Our retirement calculator can help you determine how much you’ll need to save based on your retirement income needs and current savings picture.