Angeles Investment Advisors is a financial advisor firm that’s focused on investment management for high-net-worth individuals, institutional clients and investment funds. It is a fee-only firm, meaning the entirety of its compensation comes from the fees that clients pay for its advisory services.
Angeles Investment Advisors Background
Angeles Investment Advisors was established in 2001 by three principals: Leslie Kautz, Howard Perlow and Michael Rosen. Although Kautz has since retired and become a senior advisor to the firm, Perlow and Rosen remain on staff as managing partners. Rosen also holds the position of chief investment officer (CIO). The firm is independent and employee-owned.
As the firm is focused on investment management, it’s no surprise that its staff includes chartered financial analysts (CFAs). Other certifications at the firm include certified financial planner (CFP) and a certified public accountant (CPA).
Angeles Investment Advisors Client Types and Minimum Account Sizes
For the most part, Angeles Investment Advisors manages the assets of institutional clients, such as retirement plans, charitable organizations, endowments, foundations and insurance companies. The firm also maintains a few accounts that belong to high-net-worth individuals. It also advises pooled investment funds.
Rather than institute a specific investment minimum, Angeles Investment Advisors chooses to hold clients to a $125,000 minimum annual fee. Based on the firm’s fee schedule, this roughly equates to a $25 million minimum.
Services Offered by Angeles Investment Advisors
As is stated above, Angeles Investment Advisors is generally focused on investment management, with more specific services like:
- Discretionary and consulting investment services available
- Institutional investment management
- Investment policy statement (IPS) development
- Asset allocation planning
- Investment structure analysis
- Manager selection and evaluation
- Investment performance evaluation
- Widespread diversification
- Negotiation of investment manager and custodian fees
- Private wealth services for individuals
- Custom investment strategy and tactical asset allocation creation
- Philanthropy strategies
- Agent services for trustees
- Tax-sensitive investing
- Strategic modeling
- Social and impact investing
- Volatility management
- Family communication
Angeles Investment Advisors Investment Philosophy
Angeles Investment Advisors tends to invest in a specific set of securities that revolve around various types of funds. These include no-load mutual funds, load-waived mutual funds, separately managed accounts (SMAs), exchange-traded funds (ETFs), exchange-listed closed-end funds, government securities, limited partnerships, offshore corporations and private placements (hedge funds and private equity funds).
Some of the hedge funds and other investment funds that Angeles invests in are under its control. However, it purposely limits clients’ exposure to these funds to no more than 30% of their portfolio’s overall asset allocation. This is at least partially because the majority of these funds require an investment of at least one year, meaning those assets essentially become illiquid for that period of time.
Fees Under Angeles Investment Advisors
The fee schedule at Angeles Investment Advisors is variable. This means that the firm charges different rates depending on the type of services the client is looking for. Here’s a breakdown:
|Angeles Investment Advisors Fee Schedule|
|Discretionary investment management||0.10% - 0.50% annual fee|
|Consulting services||0.01% - 0.20% annual fee, or a $25K - $1MM annual fixed fee|
|Hedge fund consulting services||0.50% annual flat fee|
What to Watch Out For
There are no financial planning offerings available through Angeles Investment Advisors. These might include retirement planning, estate planning, tax planning or education fund planning. So if you’re a high-net-worth individual client looking to work with one of the firm’s advisors, know that your services will be focused around investment portfolio management.
Opening an Account With Angeles Investment Advisors
If you’re interested in becoming a client of Angeles Investment Advisors, you can call the firm’s Santa Monica headquarters at (310) 393-6300. To reach its New York City branch, dial (212) 451-9290.
Retirement Planning Tips
- Planning your retirement benefits and income on your own is a daunting venture. Luckily, finding a financial advisor that can help doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- There are many factors to account for when formulating your retirement plans, including Social Security benefits. If you’re unsure of what you’re in line to receive from Uncle Sam, check out our Social Security calculator.