SEI Investments Management Corp is a large financial advisor firm located in Oaks, Pennslyvania. The firm employs a team of 195 financial advisors who manage $178 billion in investable assets for institutional and ultra-high-net-worth individuals.
SEI and its advisors provide a wide range of financial services to clients. These include investment portfolio management, investment advice, financial planning and more.
SEI is a fee-based firm, so some of its advisors can earn commissions for the sale of certain securities in addition to client fees.
SEI Investments Management Corp Background
SEI Investments Management Corp is an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of SEI Investments Company, which has been in business since 1969. Alfred P. West Jr. is the firm's founder, chairman and CEO.
This firm has close to 200 financial advisors, many of whom hold financial certifications such as chartered financial analyst (CFA). Because of the size of this staff, there are several different dedicated teams and branches within the company.
SEI Investments Management Corp Client Types and Minimum Account Sizes
SEI Investments Management Corp's client base mainly consists of individuals (of varying net worths) and families. It also works with various types of retirement plans, endowments, charitable foundations, hospital organizations, banks, trust departments, registered investment advisors (RIAs), trusts, estates, corporations, pooled investment vehicles, mutual funds, hedge funds, private equity funds, collective investment trusts and offshore investment funds.
This firm has no account minimums for its advisory services. That being said, the firm typically works with individuals and families whose net worth exceeds $5 million.
Services Offered by SEI Investments Management Corp
SEI Investments Management Corp offers four specific sets of services to clients:
- SEI Private Wealth Management: This program provides individuals and families with financial goal-setting, planning and wealth management services. SEI also offers this as a wrap fee program.
- SEI Institutional Group: This program offers investment management services to institutional clients through SEI’s business called Institutional Investors. Advisors deliver healthcare, retirement and nonprofit investment advice.
- SEI Private Banking: This program is centered around investment advisory services for RIAs, like banks, trust companies, insurance companies and independent advisors.
- Independent Advisor Solutions by SEI: RIAs, broker-dealers and other financial institutions utilize this program for its wealth management, administrative, technology, and practice management services. This also comes as a wrap fee program.
SEI Investments Management Corp Investment Philosophy
When it comes to individual wealth management at SEI Investments Management Corp, advisors may use a range of securities to craft client portfolios. There are seven different categories of investment styles, including exchange-traded fund (ETF) strategies, emerging markets and small- and large-cap equities. The firm may also choose to incorporate SEI pooled investment vehicles, SEI mutual funds or SEI alternative funds within your portfolio.
Advisors always seek to tailor investment advice to the individual needs and objectives of clients as they relate to their risk tolerance, time horizon and financial goals. In general, the firm tends to prioritize long-term returns over all else.
Fees Under SEI Investments Management Corp
Investment management fees at SEI are negotiated on a case-by-case basis. Specific fee rates depend upon the type of services the client is looking for, while certain accounts include performance-based fees too. In some instances, the firm may decide to charge clients a flat fee, but more often than not, advisory fees are based on a percentage of each client's assets under management (AUM).
The sole exception to the above fee policy is SEI's Managed Account Solutions (MAS) program, for which fees vary substantially depending on investment style and total AUM. Of the seven total investment styles, fees can range from 0.18% to 1.25% of the account's AUM. Fees decrease as their total AUM increases.
What to Watch Out For
Since SEI Investments Management Corp is a fee-based firm that receives commissions for the sale of certain securities, there is a potential conflict of interest that exists in its client-advisor relationships. The good news is that the firm is a fiduciary, which means that it is legally obligated to act in the best interests of clients at all times.
Opening an Account With SEI Investments Management Corp
To become a client of SEI Investments Management Corp, start by calling the firm at (610) 676-1000 or sending an email to email@example.com.
Tips for Financial Planning
- When putting together your own financial plan, it can be helpful to work with a financial advisor that has done it before. Luckily, finding the right advisor that fits your needs doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- Wondering what kind of returns you can expect to see from your investments. Try using SmartAsset’s investment calculator to see how your money can work for you.