Hamilton Capital, formerly known as Hamilton Capital Management, is a fee-only financial advisor firm based in Columbus, Ohio. The firm describes itself as structurally and philosophically independent, and it works to avoid all conflicts of interest, based on information in its firm brochure. With a large pool of assets under management (AUM) and a sizable staff of advisors, the independent firm extends its services to various individual and institutional clients.
Hamilton Capital also holds a spot on each of SmartAsset's list of the top financial advisor in Columbus.
Hamilton Capital Background
Established in 1997, Hamilton Capital is a wealth and investment management firm owned by R. Matthew Hamilton. Hamilton has around 40 years of experience in the financial services industry. With offices in Columbus and Palm Beach, Florida, the independent registered investment advisor (RIA) offers a range of advisory services.
Hamilton’s team offers various specialties. These include designations like certified financial planner (CFP), accredited investment fiduciary (AIF), professional plan consultant (PPC), chartered financial consultant (ChFC), certified retirement planning specialist (CRPS), chartered financial analyst (CFA), certified public accountant (CPA), certified divorce financial analyst (CDFA) and chartered retirement planning counselor (CRPC).
Hamilton Capital Client Types and Minimum Account Sizes
Hamilton Capital’s clients include both non-high-net-worth individuals and high-net-worth individuals, trusts, estates, foundations, endowments, qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, businesses and pooled investment vehicles.
In serving its extensive client base, the firm impose a minimum account size requirement of $500,000. The firm also charges a quarterly minimum fee of $1,250.
Services Offered by Hamilton Capital
Hamilton Capital specializes in the following advisory services:
- Individualized portfolio management
- Retirement planning
- General financial planning
- Selection of other advisors
- Non-investment consulting/implementation services
- Institutional investment management
- Custodian selection
- Manager searches
- Performance measurement and evaluation systems
- Economic and financial market outlooks
- Board member education
- Constituent communication programs
Hamilton Capital Investment Philosophy
Hamilton Capital’s website mentions that the firm’s values are to "serve first," "be insightful," "guide forward," "collaborate" and "make it happen." The firm’s vision is to help its clients achieve lasting financial impact, and it provides insightful and careful financial planning and strategies to help each client do just that.
Hamilton chiefly employs a top-down, macro-economic approach in its investment process. The firm’s investment strategies utilize mutual funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and separate accounts of variable annuity contracts.
Fees Under Hamilton Capital
Hamilton Capital’s compensation consists of asset-based fees and hourly charges. The firm charges hourly fees ranging from $60 to $500 for planning and advisory services. The firm bills advisory fees quarterly and in advance. Below, we’ve included Hamilton’s fee schedule for its investment advisory services:
|Wealth and Investment Management Fee Schedule|
Here's a breakdown of about what you can expect to pay for Hamilton Capital's management services:
|*Estimated investment management fees do not include brokerage, custodial, third-party manager or other fees, which can vary in amount.|
|Estimated Investment Management Fees at Hamilton Capital*|
|Your Assets||Hamilton Capital Fee Amount|
Hamilton Capital Awards and Recognition
Hamilton has been eight times named to Columbus Business First’s Fast 50 -- a list that recognizes 50 of Columbus’ fastest-growing private companies. Hamilton also earned recognition from Inc. magazine as one of the fastest-growing firms. The magazine included the firm in its Inc. 5000 list for three consecutive years from 2015 to 2017.
Hamilton was also named in the Financial Times’ Top 300 Financial Advisors six times, and the Financial Planning magazine named the firm to its RIA Leaders list twice in 2020 and 2017.
What to Watch Out For
Opening an Account With Hamilton Capital
If you'd like to set up an account, you can schedule an appointment with an advisor by visiting one of the firm's offices or calling (614) 273-1000. The firm also offers a contact form on its website for prospective clients.
All information was accurate as of the writing of this article.
Tips for Investing
- Even if you aren’t investing, financial advisors can be instrumental in helping you meet your short- and long-term financial goals. Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with up to three financial advisors who serve your area, and you can interview your advisor matches at no cost to decide which one is right for you. If you’re ready to find an advisor who can help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- Interested in determining exactly how much your investments can earn you over time? Our investment calculator can help you do just that. You’ll just need your initial investment amount, the amount and frequency at which you expect to contribute, your expected rate of return and time horizon.