Glenview Capital Management, LLC (GCM) is a large hedge fund with nearly $12.8 billion in assets under management (AUM). The New York-based firm has a collection of 39 on-staff financial advisors to handle the funds under its control.
Glenview only works with funds and institutional clients. If you’re an individual looking to work with a local financial advisor, SmartAsset’s advisor matching tool can help you find appropriate options near you.
Glenview Capital Management Background
Larry Robbins, Glenview Capital Management’s CEO, founded the firm in 2000. Robbins is a well-known hedge fund manager who has spent more than 30 years in the finance and investment industries. Robbins is also the principal owner of Glenview, and is responsible for all investment, management and operations decisions.
What Types of Clients Does Glenview Capital Management Accept?
Glenview Capital Management is a hedge fund, so rather than work with clients in the traditional sense, it manages private investment funds that investors can buy into. According to its Form ADV, the firm has eight funds under its control, as well as a separately managed account (SMA).
Although Glenview doesn’t directly manage their assets, a wide range of investors may invest in their funds. These include high-net-worth individuals, pension plans, charitable foundations, endowments, fund-of-funds, sovereign wealth funds, family offices, investment companies and trusts.
Glenview Capital Management Minimum Account Size
The minimum account sizes at Glenview Capital Management vary from fund to fund. Here’s a general overview:
- Glenview Funds: $1,000,000
- Opportunity Funds: $5,000,000
- GCM Equity Funds: $15,000,000
GCM Investment Partners, LP is a private investment fund open solely to principals, partners and employees of Glenview, as well as a select few other individuals. For this, the minimum investment is $10,000.
Services Offered by Glenview Capital Management
Glenview Capital Management is purely centered around the investment needs of the funds that it manages. To do this, the firm creates specific investment strategies tailored to induce the returns that that particular fund is looking for. These strategies are monitored on a regular basis, as the firm is open to changing its approach based on shifting market characteristics or other conditions.
Glenview Capital Management Investment Philosophy
On a general level, Glenview Capital Management looks for three main factors in any company it considers investing in:
- It has fundamental characteristics that are both known and knowable.
- Its value compounds annually at a rate within the mid-teens or higher.
- Its equities are at an attractive price in comparison to earnings, cash flow and overall growth and company quality.
As you might expect, each of Glenview’s funds utilize a distinct investment strategy.
- The Glenview Funds are centered around equity and fixed-income investments that are chosen through a bottom-up, fundamental research process.
- The Opportunity Funds utilize a purely opportunistic approach in order to find shorter-term deals on the market. There is very little restriction within this strategy.
- The GCM Equity Funds unsurprisingly invest in equities of companies with a market capitalization over $10 billion.
Fees Under Glenview Capital Management
Despite its somewhat complex nature, the fee schedule at Glenview Capital Management is fairly straightforward. Fees are based on a percentage of each fund’s AUM, and while the table below shows annual fee rates, the firm charges them each quarter. Investors in the funds, on the other hand, must pay through a direct withdrawal on a monthly basis.
|Glenview Capital Management Fund Fees|
|Fund(s)||Annual Fee Rates|
|GCM Equity Funds||1.00%|
What to Watch Out For
Glenview Capital Management is a hedge fund, so it does not have financial planning services like retirement planning, estate planning or tax planning. If you’re interested in these services, or if you're looking for an advisor to manage your investment portfolio, stop by our financial advisor matching tool to find advisors in your area.
Glenview Capital Management’s legal and regulatory record is clean, as its Form ADV is devoid of all disclosures.
Opening an Account With Glenview Capital Management
To find out more about Glenview Capital Management, call the firm at (212) 812-4700. Glenview does not have a website, so this is the only way to reach the firm.
Where Is Glenview Capital Management Located?
The headquarters of Glenview Capital Management is in New York City at 767 Fifth Avenue on the 44th floor (at the Southeast corner of Central Park). It does have a second office, though, in Silver Spring, Maryland at 8403 Colesville Road, Suite 1100.
Tips for Your Investment Portfolio
- Before you invest your hard-earned money in the market, a financial advisor might be worth looking into. Finding the right financial advisor that fits your needs doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- One of the most important things to remember about investing is that you’ll need to pay taxes on your returns. If you're unsure what your tax bill will look like, try SmartAsset’s capital gains tax calculator.