Advised Assets Group Review
Advised Assets Group, LLC (AAG), is a Greenwood Village, Colorado-based financial advisor firm with just under $32 billion in assets under management (AUM). The firm's team of 281 financial advisors help manage assets for retirement plan sponsors, plan participants and individual retirement account (IRA) accountholders. By contracting with the sponsors of employer-sponsored retirement plans, they help both individual and institutional clients.
AAG is a fee-only firm, which means all of its compensation comes from the fees that its individual and institutional clients pay. This is markedly different from a fee-based firm, which may also earn commissions on certain insurance and security sales.
Advised Assets Group Background
Advised Assets Group was founded in 2000. Today, the firm is led by chief compliance officer (CCO) Kenneth I. Schindler and vice president Ryan Lynn Logsdon. AAG's parent company is Great-West Life & Annuity Insurance Company. It also works closely with Empower Retirement to provide asset management services.
The firm's advisory staff includes a few certified financial planners (CFPs).
Advised Assets Group Client Types and Minimum Account Sizes
AAG works with more than 11,000 retirement plan sponsors, such as 401(a), 401(k), 403(b) and 457 plans, as well as their participants. For the most part, these participants are non-high-net-worth individuals, though there are a select few high-net-worth individuals and government entities too.
AAG offers a service called Empower Managed Portfolios to clients who hold Empower Brokerage accounts. For this program, there is a $5,000 minimum investment requirement. The firm does not list minimum account sizes for any of its other services.
Services Offered by Advised Assets Group
Advised Assets Group offers a wide range of investment strategies to help plan sponsors and individuals meet their distinct financial goals. All programs help clients with retirement and asset allocation planning. These offerings fall into a few main categories:
- Online Investment Guidance service
- Easy-to-use investment account planning
- Analytical investment tools
- Asset allocation planning
- Offered in conjunction with the Empower Retirement IRA program
- Online Advice service
- Retirement goal forecasting
- Allows participants to manage their own portfolio with the help of investment tools and advice
- Managed Account service
- Investment management
- Personalized asset allocation planning
- Quarterly rebalances
- Spend-Down Advice
- Retirement income planning tools
- Financial planning
- Financial needs assessments
- Third-party financial planning software
- Life insurance recommendations
Advised Assets Group Investment Philosophy
The investment philosophy at Advised Assets Group may differ based on the types of services provided. However, advisors always make an effort to help clients with their individual preferances as they relate to their retirement needs and objectives. Proprietary asset allocation and retirement income projection methodologies are developed by Morningstar Investment Management for AAG.
When analyzing investments, AAG primarily looks at quantitative data. Advisors may also use qualitative analysis conducted by other investment professionals. The firm uses resources such as financial publications, annual reports, press releases and SEC filings to inform its investment decisions. While specific investment and retirement strategies will vary from client to client, advisors look to provide effective advice for both the retirement accumulation phase, as well as the "in-retirement" phase.
Fees Under Advised Assets Group
Pricing and fees for employer-sponsored retirement plan services are negotiable depending on what the plan wants AAG to do. There's generally no fee for clients utilizing online investment guidance programs, whereas online investment advice fees are generally $25 per year. Professional management program fees are typically capped at a 0.60% annual fee, though rates are lower for accounts with balances above $100,000.
Empower Retirement IRA account holders are typically charged according to the following fee schedule:
|Empower Retirement IRA Fee Schedule|
|Up to $100K||0.55%|
All financial planning fees are negotiated on a plan-by-plan basis, so there is not a standardized fee schedule for these offerings. Also, not all plans will have access to this service.
Opening an Account With Advised Assets Group
For those looking to open an account with AAG, you'll need to reach out to the firm over the phone at (800) 888-4952, extension 41066.
Retirement Planning Tips
- It can be helpful to work with a financial advisor when creating a financial plan for your future. Finding the right financial advisor that fits your needs doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- When planning for retirement, don't forget to take Social Security payments into account. Although this income may not be enough for you to fully live on in retirement, it certainly helps out quite a bit. If you're unsure of what you might be in line to receive, stop by SmartAsset's Social Security calculator.