Menu burger Close thin Facebook Twitter Google plus Linked in Reddit Email arrow-right-sm arrow-right
Tap on the profile icon to edit
your financial details.

How to File an Amended Tax Return

Given the complicated nature of income taxes and the popularity of convenient but not foolproof DIY tax filing software, it’s understandable that you may make a mistake on your taxes at some point. When this happens, you’ll need to file an amended tax return by filling out Form 1040-X. This may be needed if you’ve made mistakes ranging from under-reporting your income to missing out on tax credits and deductions. For help with fixing tax return issues or any other major financial consideration, think about finding a financial advisor to help you.

Amended Tax Return Definition

There are two main reasons a person might want to amend a tax return. The first is if he or she under-reported income. The second is if he or she didn’t claim all the relevant deductions and credits. In the first scenario, amending the tax return increases tax liability. In the second scenario, filing an amended return will decrease tax liability or increase the size of the tax refund.

If you made a mistake in more than one tax year, you’ll need to file an amended tax return for each year. If you find out that you owe the IRS more than your original tax return would suggest, make sure you pay what you owe in a timely manner, or you could face IRS penalties and interest charges.

Amended Tax Return Filing Instructions

How to File an Amended Tax Return

If you’re wondering how to amend a tax return, you won’t have to completely redo your tax returns. If you initially filed your federal income taxes using Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040EZ-T, 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ you’re in luck. IRS Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, will be your go-to for correcting errors on your tax returns.

Much of the information you include on Form 1040-X will overlap with what you included on your original 1040. Of course, you’ll need to correct the errors that led you to amend your tax return in the first place. You’ll also need to provide supporting documentation. Reporting income from a source you forgot to include on your original returns? Provide the W-2 form for that income. Adding a new deduction such as a charitable donation? Attach the receipt providing proof that you donated.

Pretty simple, right? While you previously couldn’t e-file Form 1040-X, the IRS announced in 2020 that it now permits taxpayers to submit the form electronically with commercial tax-filing software. However, you’ll have to print and mail it, if you prefer. The address you send your amended tax return to will depend on the particulars of your filing situation.  If you’re using tax preparation software (like TurboTax or H&R Block) you’ll be walked through this process.

What to Expect From an Amended Tax Return

You don’t have the rest of your life to file amended tax returns. If you don’t file an amended return within three years of filing the original return (or within two years after paying the taxes based on the original return), you’ll miss your chance to get a refund. The more you owe the IRS, or the more the IRS owes you, the more careful you should be to avoid missing that deadline.

Expect to wait up to a few months to see the results of your amended your tax return. The IRS is already swamped with the regular volume of tax returns it gets. Add in amended returns and you’re looking at a bit of a wait. The good news is that the IRS makes it easy to check the status of your amended refund on its website beginning three weeks after you send the amended return.

Bottom Line

How to File an Amended Tax Return

If you discover an error on your tax returns, don’t panic. Filing an amended tax return isn’t the end of the world. Still, you don’t want to make a habit of it. Better to start preparing for tax season well in advance of the deadline. The more complicated your finances, the earlier you should start gathering the documentation you’ll need to file complete and accurate tax returns.

Tax Planning Tips

  • Income taxes take a significant bite out of your take-home pay each paycheck. It’s important to account for these and other types of taxes in your long-term financial plan. A financial advisor can help you along the way. Finding a qualified financial advisor doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with up to three financial advisors in your area, and you can interview your advisor matches at no cost to decide which one is right for you. If you’re ready to find an advisor who can help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
  • A tax refund can be a boon for your overall finances. To figure out how much you’re in line to receive so you can make a plan for the money, give SmartAsset’s Tax Return Calculator a try.

Photo credit: © iStock/Christine Glade, © iStock/laflor, © iStock/mrdoomits

Amelia Josephson Amelia Josephson is a writer passionate about covering financial literacy topics. Her areas of expertise include retirement and home buying. Amelia's work has appeared across the web, including on AOL, CBS News and The Simple Dollar. She holds degrees from Columbia and Oxford. Originally from Alaska, Amelia now calls Brooklyn home.
Was this content helpful?
Thanks for your input!