Harding Loevner is a fee-only investment advisor focused on investing in publicly traded global equities. The financial advisor provides advice within multi-manager wealth management programs. The firm offers a wide range of investment strategies that have variable minimums to be included in them. Many of these strategies focus on equities.
Harding Loevner Background
Harding Loevner was founded in 1989. The firm operates independently of Affiliated Managers Group, Inc., a company that owns the firm’s general partner. Additionally, a considerable distinction worth noting is that Harding Loevner primarily provides investment advice, and none of its advisors receive third party commissions.
Harding Loevner Client Types and Minimum Account Sizes
Harding Loevner provides advice to a range of clients, including individuals, foundations and endowments, sovereign wealth funds, religious institutions, retirement plans, trusts, broker-dealers, banks, investment advisors, insurance companies and mutual funds (Harding Loevner Funds, Inc.). The firm also serves as a sub-advisor to collective investment trust funds, offshore funds and external mutual funds.
Minimum account sizes vary by strategy:
- Global Equity (ordinary shares): $10,000,000
- Global Equity (ADRs): $1,000,000
- World Equity: $10,000,000
- Multi-Asset Global: $10,000,000
- International Equity (ordinary shares): $10,000,000
- International Equity (ADRs): $1,000,000
- EAFE Equity: $10,000,000
- International Small Companies Equity: $10,000,000
- Global Small Companies Equity: $10,000,000
- Emerging Markets Equity: $50,000,000
- Frontier Emerging Markets Equity: $50,000,000
- Chinese Equity: $50,000,000
- International Equity Research: $10,000,000
- Global Equity Research: $10,000,000
- Emerging Markets Research: $50,000,000
Clients interested in wrap programs will need to request the minimum investment amount from the program’s sponsor. For Harding Loevner mutual fund and sub-fund portfolios, the minimum amounts are specified in each fund’s prospectus. Clients interested in the firm’s collective investment trusts will need to contact the firm to request the minimum investment value.
Services Offered by Harding Loevner
Harding Loevner provides its clients with a wide selection of services, investment strategies and products. The firm offers portfolio management for individuals and/or small businesses, investment companies and pooled investment vehicles.
- Portfolio Management
- Investment Strategies
- Global equity (ordinary shares)
- Global equity (ADRs)
- World equity
- Multi-Asset global
- International equity (ordinary shares)
- International equity (ADRs)
- EAFE equity
- Global small companies equity
- International small companies equity
- Emerging markets
- Frontier emerging markets
- International equity research
- Global equity research
- Emerging markets research
- Separately managed accounts
- U.S. mutual funds
- UCITS funds
- Collective investment trusts
Harding Loevner believes in taking a long-term investment approach in growing businesses, as well as using fundamental research to analyze both the competitive standing of individual companies and the structure of global industries. When investing on behalf of its clients, Harding Loevner looks for four key qualities in the companies it selects: quality management, competitive advantages, financial strength and sustainable growth potential.
The firm’s research team has analysts that seek out high-quality companies on a worldwide level. It also has regional analysts who focus on companies in Japan and China, companies in frontier markets and companies in emerging markets.
Fees Under Harding Loevner
Harding Loevner bases its annual fee on the market value of AUM. In some cases the firm has a minimum fee. The fee schedules vary for different investment strategies, and it’s important to note that clients using certain strategies may be subject to a minimum quarterly fee.
|Global Equity (ordinary shares), World Equity, Multi-Asset Global, International Equity (ordinary shares), EAFE Equity, International Equity Research and Global Equity Research Fee Schedule|
|Above $500,000,000||On request|
|Global Equity (ADRs) and International Equity (ADRs) Fee Schedule|
|Global Small Companies Equity and International Small Companies Equity Fee Schedule|
|Emerging Markets Equity and Chinese Equity Fee Schedule|
|Frontier Emerging Markets Equity Fee Schedule|
|Emerging Markets Research Fee Schedule|
The firm also charges for wrap fee programs, model programs and other funds not related to Harding Loevner Funds, Inc. These fees differ from the firm’s standard fee schedules. When it comes to payment, Harding Loevner bills fees quarterly in advance. Clients will be able to pay the fees as soon as they’re billed. The firm also specifies each account’s terms in its investment management agreements, and either the firm or the client may terminate the agreement on at least 30 days written notice.
What to Watch Out For
Harding Loevner has no legal or regulatory disclosures listed on its SEC-filed Form ADV.
Opening an Account With Harding Loevner
Prospective clients will generally have a few options for opening an account with Harding Loevner. On its website, the firm provides a contact form that both existing and prospective clients can use to get in touch with a firm representative. You can also visit one of the firm’s physical locations, or you can call the firm’s headquarters. In addition, the firm provides an inquiry-related contact email.
All information was accurate as of the writing of this article.
Tips for Becoming a Better Investor
- Whether its financial planning, estate planning or retirement planning you need assistance with, a financial advisor could be right for you. Though costlier than personal management, these professionals can offer a customized and holistic approach to your financial situation. If you’re having trouble narrowing down your search, use SmartAsset’s free financial advisor matching tool.
- Proper asset allocation is one of the key steps to achieving investment success. Whether you prefer passive or active investing, planning and strategy can make a difference between how much you spend and how much you earn. If you’d like a better idea of how much money you’d generate over time, consider using our investment calculator.