Fiera Capital, Inc. is a financial advisor firm that’s headquartered in New York City. In total, the firm has $19.4 billion in assets under management (AUM). Fiera works with a wide range of clients, including individuals, high-net-worth individuals, investment companies, charitable organizations, government entities, pooled investment vehicles, corporations and retirement plans.
Fiera is a fee-only firm. This means that all of its earnings come from advisory fees paid by clients. That's in contrast to a fee-based firm, which may earn income from other sources like insurance or securities commissions. By eschewing such commission-based sales, the firm avoids potential conflicts of interest.
Fiera Capital Background
Fiera Capital was founded in 1972 as Wilkinson O’Grady & Co., Inc. In 2013, Fiera Capital Corporation, a Canadian company, acquired the firm to become its U.S. division. During this process, the firm’s name was changed to Fiera Capital.
There are 53 advisors working at this firm. Among these employees are 20 chartered financial analysts (CFAs), three chartered alternative investment analysts (CAIAs) and five certified public accountants (CPAs).
What Types of Clients Does Fiera Capital Accept?
Fiera Capital works with roughly 4,000 clients. More than 75% of these are either high-net-worth individuals or wrap fee account participants.
The rest consist of its clients consist of non-high-net-worth individuals, investment companies, pooled investment vehicles, pension and other retirement plans, charitable organizations, government entities and corporations.
Fiera Capital Minimum Account Sizes
Fiera Capital generally requires a minimum account size to open a separately managed account. These minimum requirements range from $100,000 to $50 million depending on the strategy you go with. At its own discretion, the firm may decide to alter or waive these minimums.
Services Offered by Fiera Capital
Investment management is the primary offering at Fiera Capital. It manages client portfolios according to a number of investment strategies. Each client is matched with the strategy or strategies most appropriate for their personal financial goals. Other factors that are taken into account during this process include your risk tolerance, time horizon and income and liquidity needs.
The firm also acts as an advisor for some wrap fee programs, with a limited number of the firm’s investment strategies being available through these programs.
Fiera Capital Investment Philosophy
With a plethora of investment strategies in its stable, Fiera Capital chooses the one that’s best aligned with your needs. As you might expect, each strategy uses different types of securities according to which best fit the investment strategy.
- Equity Strategies: This is a collection of long-term approaches that invest exclusively in equity securities.
- Equity-Growth Strategies: According to the firm’s Form ADV, this group of strategies seeks to invest in “companies with stable growth and emerging growth characteristics that are within industries and sectors poised to benefit from global secular growth trends.”
- Equity-Emerging Markets Strategies: This is the strategy that the firm uses to advise the Fiera Emerging Markets Fund. It’s designed to induce long-term capital appreciation through equities of companies in emerging market countries.
- Equity-ETFs and Mutual Funds Strategies: This is offered by the Fiera Allocation Fund. It invests mostly in exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and mutual funds that are made up of equity securities.
- Fixed-Income Strategies: A group of strategies focused on tax efficiency and preserving wealth by investing in various fixed-income securities.
- Non-traditional Strategies: A collection of alternative investment strategies generally used for the firm’s Private Fund clients.
Fees Under Fiera Capital
Fiera Capital charges advisory fees as a percentage of clients’ AUM, with exact rates varying depending on both the size of your account and your investment strategy. The way you’ll pay these fees will be laid out in your client agreement.
|Fiera Capital Investment Management Fees*|
|Strategy Category||Fee Range|
|Equity||0.20% - 0.85%|
|Equity - Growth||0.40% - 1.00%|
|Fixed-Income||0.15% - 0.65%|
What to Watch Out For
Fiera Capital doesn’t offer financial planning services to its clients, as it focuses its efforts entirely on investment management and advice. So if financial planning is a priority for you, then your search for an advisor may need to look beyond this firm.
Fiera Capital has one disclosure listed on its Form ADV, but it pertains to the private accounting practice of an individual affiliate of the firm. In other words, the firm itself has a clean legal and regulatory record.
Opening an Account With Fiera Capital
If you’re interested in beginning a relationship with Fiera Capital, there are a couple different ways to get the ball rolling. You can send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the firm at (212) 300-1600.
Where Is Fiera Capital Located?
Fiera Capital is headquartered in New York City, on Park Avenue between 52nd and 53rd. However, investors typically won’t need to visit the firm’s office in person. In addition to New York, the firm also has offices in Boston, Massachusetts; Dayton, Ohio; and San Francisco, California.
- Finding the right financial advisor that fits your needs doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- As your investments grow and the earnings roll in, be sure that you don’t forget about capital gains taxes. To figure out how much you might owe, stop by our capital gains tax calculator.