CLS Investments, LLC
CLS Investments, LLC, is a financial advisory firm serving a variety of clients from individuals to business and government entities. It has been in operation since the 1980s and currently oversees more than $8 billion in assets under management (AUM).
CLS Investments Background
CLS Investments first opened its doors to the Omaha, Nebraska, community in 1989. Today, it’s a subsidiary of NorthStar Financial Services Group, LLC. This firm is managed by TA Associates, L.P. and its affiliates.
What Types of Clients Does CLS Investments Accept?
According to documents the firm recently filed with the SEC, CLS Investments serves the following types of individuals:
- Individuals including high-net-worth ones
- Trusts and estates
- 529 college savings plans
- Retirement and profit-sharing plans
- Nonprofit organizations
- Governmental entities
CLS Investments Minimum Account Size
Account minimums vary, depending on the type of investment strategy your advisor recommends.
Services Offered by CLS Investments
CLS Investments focuses on managing portfolios by utilizing numerous different investment strategies. A CLS advisor would work with each individual client to select an asset allocation that is appropriate for the client, based on factors such as risk tolerance and long-term investment goals.
Depending on your situation, your portfolio may invest in some of the following types of securities:
In addition, your advisor may utilize AutoPilot, an automated investment program available through a partnership with Riskalyze Inc.
In some instances, a client may have access to model portfolios available through a wrap-fee program sponsored by an investment platform provider.
CLS Investments Investing Philosophy
CLS Investments primarily engages in active investment strategies. This means the firm can make adjustments to portfolios based on market conditions or economic outlook in order to maximize returns. These strategies can be broken down into the following four categories and objectives:
- Accumulation - aims for maximum return through growth of interest, capital gains and dividends
- Income - seeks consistent distributions from income-producing assets
- Protection - seeks capital growth during sustained market uptrends and protection during market downturns
- Tax management - aims to reduce annual net taxable gains
Fees Under CLS Investments
CLS Investments charges investment advisory fees as a percentage of assets in clients’ accounts. That percentage varies by account size and investment strategy. A portion of this advisory fee is paid to the advisor while the rest is collected by CLS Investments.
Investment advisory services at CLS Investments are available on a wrap-fee basis. We describe the current wrap-fee schedule below:
Some advisors working through CLS Investments may engage in non-wrap fee programs, in which case the preceding schedule may not apply.
What to Watch Out For
CLS Investments may work with various affiliated and non-affiliated financial services firms. In some cases, your fees may account for a portion of compensation received by such firms. However, CLS Investments serves as a fiduciary and legally must work in your best interests. In addition, the firm has a code of ethics designed to minimize potential conflicts of interest. For instance, the advisor must disclose potential conflicts of interest.
You can find the firm’s code and disclosure information by looking up CLS Investments on the SEC website.
CLS Investments has no disciplinary event to disclose as of the time of this writing. You can view the latest disclosure information by accessing the firm brochure through the SEC website.
Opening an Account With CLS Investments
You can open an account with CLS Investments by visiting the firm’s website at http://www.clsinvest.com/ or by calling 402-493-3313.
Where Is CLS Investments Located?
You can find CLS Investments at the following address:
17605 Wright Street
Omaha, Nebraska 68130
All information was accurate as of the writing of this article.
Tips for Finding the Right Financial Advisor
- Use our SmartAsset advisor matching tool. It connects you with up to three advisors in your area and vetted by us. All you have to do is answer a few questions about your financial situation and the tool runs the search for you. The tool also gives you access to their profiles for easy comparing and contrasting.
- Before you work with a financial advisor, you should be aware of what distinguishes them from the competition. Some designations such as certified financial planner (CFP) may mean the advisor is more equipped to meet your needs. You also should understand what is expected of a fiduciary advisor.