Published July 14, 2017
Overview: Earn 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%); Earn 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations; 0% APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months then 15.24% - 26.24% Variable; No annual fee
Full Card Review
If you are looking for a credit card with significant cash-back rewards and no annual fee, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express (a SmartAsset advertiser) may be a good fit. Like with other cash-back credit cards, users can earn 1% cash back on most purchases (fees or purchases of cash equivalents like traveler’s checks are not included). However, unlike other cards, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express offers big rewards at supermarkets, gas stations, and department stores in the U.S. Card users can earn 3% cash-back on their first $6,000 worth of purchases from U.S. supermarkets (1% afterward) each year, a significant savings for any frequent supermarket shopper. Moreover, you can earn 2% cash back on purchases at select U.S. department stores such as Macy’s or Sears and 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations. Shoppers who register also get the added benefit of return protection of up to $300 per purchase and $1,000 per year for eligible unused items that the seller refuses to refund.
In addition to those looking for large cash-back rewards, the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express may be well suited for those with outstanding debts on other high APR cards. With 0% intro APR on purchases and transfer balances for 15 months, the card allows you to transfer any debts still owed on other cards (for a small $5 or 3% transfer fee, whichever is greater) onto the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express. After the 15 month introductory period, the APR will increase to 15.24% - 26.24% Variable so it is safest to pay back any debts before the end of the 15 month period. Furthermore, there is no annual fee for the card, providing more reason to transfer outstanding debt onto it. As long as you pay at least the minimum payment for the card each month (otherwise you may lose access to this deal), you should be able to save a lot of money on interest.
The combination of significant cash-back rewards, a 15-month introductory period with 0% APR (15.24% - 26.24% Variable afterward), and the opportunity to receive $150 for spending $1,000 in the first 3 months for no annual fee could make the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express worth your while. For those interested in even higher cash-back rates, check out the American Express Blue Cash Preferred® Card.
Rewards and Benefits
- $150 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%).
- 2% cash back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 15.24% to 26.24%.
- Over 1.5 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2017.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- No annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
Requirements, Costs & Fees
- Credit needed: Excellent, Good
- Purchase APR: 15.24% - 26.24% Variable
- APR for Cash Advances: 27.49% Variable% variable.
- Balance Transfer Fee: $5 or 3%, whichever is greater.
- Cash Advance Fee: $5 or 3%, whichever is greater.
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable.
- Annual Fee: $0.
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars.% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $38.
- Returned Payment: Up to $null.
- See all Rates and Fees
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by the issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer.
Advertiser Disclosure: The card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which SmartAsset.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). SmartAsset.com does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.