MFS Investment Management
MFS Investment Management is global asset management firm that’s headquartered in Boston and has research offices worldwide. Originally called Massachusetts Financial Services Company, MFS Investment Management now has roughly 1,900 employees worldwide and $476.4 billion in assets under management as of May 2018.
The firm works with institutional clients and pooled investment vehicles. More specifically, it serves pension and profit-sharing plans, charitable organizations, sovereign wealth funds, U.S. registered investment companies, other financial advisors and other pooled investment vehicles. Generally, MFS requires an account minimum of $50 million to open an institutional separate account portfolio.
MFS Investment Management Background
The company dates back to 1924, when MFS created Massachusetts Investors Trust (MIT), the first mutual fund in America. In 1969, the company began offering a wider range of products and services and was reorganized as Massachusetts Financial Services. Nearly three decades later in 1996, Massachusetts Financial Services became MFS Investment Management.
The company was purchased by Sun Life Financial of Canada the company back in 1982. MFS is still owned by Sun Life Financial, a publicly traded financial services company. Additionally, MFS Investment Management is the parent company of other investment management companies, which are collectively known as MFS Global Group.
What Types of Clients Does MFS Investment Management Accept?
MFS Investment Management serves institutional investors worldwide, as well as pooled investment vehicles. The company manages assets for public and corporate pension plans, bank trust clients, insurance companies, endowments and foundations, individual, multi-employer plans and investment advisory firms. MFS notes on its website that it currently works with more than 100,000 investment professionals.
MFS' account minimums typically vary by product type. However, it's standard account minimum for an institutional separate account portfolio is generally $50 million.
Services Offered by MFS Investment Management
MFS Investment Management offers a wide range of investment services and products to institutional investors and investment professionals. The company has a family of more than 80 U.S. mutual funds. Other products it provides include variable insurance, closed-end funds, institutional trusts and 529 college planning.
The firm also offers separate account portfolio management for institutional investors. It will oversee both equity and fixed-income assets.
MFS Investment Management Investment Philosophy
MFS Investment Management generally takes a long-term approach to investing. In addition to a long-term horizon, MFS' investment philosophy emphasizes active management focused on improving investment outcomes and active engagement with portfolio companies and issuers.
Because MFS believes the markets are fundamentally inefficient, it relies on integrated research when making investments to determine opportunities to exploit the market and like create value. Currently, MFS tracks investments in more than 80 countries. The firm uses its global research platform to facilitate collaboration between its investment teams across the world.
Fees Under MFS Investment Management
MFS typically charges a percentage of assets under management for its investment advisory services to institutional portfolios. The exact rate charged is negotiable and depends on the investment mandate, or the specific strategy and risk tolerance parameters that are used. Fees are a percentage of average month-end assets.
- Blended Research Large Cap Growth Equity, Blended Research Large Cap Value Equity, Blended Research U.S. Core Equity, Core Fixed Income, Core Plus Fixed Income, U.S. Corporate BB Fixed Income and U.S. Credit: 0.20% - 0.30%
- Blended Research Global Equity, Global Aggregate Core, Global Aggregate Core Plus and Global Credit: 0.25% - 0.35%
- Global Equity, Global Growth, Global Research, Global Value, International Equity, International Growth, International Research, International Value, Mid Cap Growth Equity and Mid Cap Value Equity: 0.50% - 0.75%
- International Concentrated Equity and Global Concentrated Equity: 0.55% - 0.85%
- Research Equity, Large Cap Value and Core Equity: 0.40% - 0.55%
- Emerging Market Debt and Emerging Market Debt Local Currency: 0.45% - 0.55%
- Growth Equity and Large Cap Growth: 0.45% - 0.60%
- Utilities: 0.35% - 0.65%
- Global Real Estate: 0.55% - 0.75%
- Global Aggregate Opportunistic and Low Volatility Global Equity: 0.30% - 0.40%
- International Small?Mid Cap Equity: 0.75% - 0.95%
- Emerging Markets Equity: 0.80% - 0.90%
- Asia Pacific ex-Japan and Technology Equity: 0.65% - 0.75%
- Latin American Equity: 0.80% - 1.00%
- Japan Equity: 0.50% - 0.65%
- Small Cap Growth Equity: 0.70% - 0.90%
- U.S. Core High Yield: 0.35% - 0.45%
- Global High Yield: 0.40% - 0.50%
- Municipal Fixed-Income: 0.20% - 0.30%
- Limited Maturity Fixed-Income: 0.175% - 0.25%
- Domestic Balanced: 0.30% - 0.55%
- Global Balanced: 0.30% - 0.60%
- European Research Equity, European Value and European Equity: 0.50% - 0.70%
In addition to the above investment advisory fees, clients will also be responsible for other costs including brokerage and transaction costs and custodial fees.
MFS Investment Management does report disclosures on its Form ADV, paperwork filed with the SEC. However, most of the disciplinary actions that MFS reported from within the last decade were either related to its parent company, Sun Life Financial or failures to file certain reports in a timely manner.
Where Is MFS Investment Management Located?
MFS Investment Management’s headquarters is in Boston, where its sole U.S. office is located in the Back Bay neighborhood. The company also has offices located across the globe, including in Toronto, Mexico City, São Paulo, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Singapore and Sydney.
Tips for Finding a Financial Advisor
- Finding the right financial advisor that fits your needs doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- Before you start the search, you'll want to figure out what it is you want from a financial advisor. Do you want help creating a financial plan? Are you looking for someone to help you set up a 529 plan or prepare for retirement? Knowing this ahead of time can help you find an advisor whose services more closely align with your needs.