Before 2022 comes to a close, advisors should kick off discussions with clients on a range of subjects, including retirement, investing, insurance and taxes.
For many of these topics, there are year-end deadlines or contribution cut-offs that are important to note. Missing them could result in penalties, higher tax bills and other financial repercussions.
Conversations to Have With Clients
To determine which topics advisors should surface to clients before year-end, SmartAsset spoke with Elliot Herman, partner and chief investment officer at PRW Wealth Management LLC.
If you are looking to grow your financial advisory business, check out SmartAsset’s SmartAdvisor platform.
Herman is responsible for his firm’s investment advisory process, including the development of investment strategy, asset allocation, and investment manager and product due diligence. He also oversees the firm’s wealth management practice, developing plans focused on the areas of wealth transfer, retirement, investment, tax, risk management and estate planning.
The webinar, moderated by Susannah Snider, managing editor for financial education at SmartAsset, was live-streamed on Nov. 17.
Here are the 10 topics discussed:
- Retirement account contributions
- Mutual fund distributions
- Roth conversions
- Tax-loss and capital-gain harvesting
- RMD strategies
- Gifting strategies
- Income tax withholding
- Managing income tax brackets
- Rising replacement costs
- Contributing to HSA accounts
For more context and advisor tips, watch the video.
The panel did not offer advice, and each circumstance is unique. A tax professional should be consulted when executing these strategies.
Elliot Herman is not an employee of SmartAsset and is not a SmartAdvisor client. Additionally, he has not been paid for his participation.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d like a PDF copy of the slideshow.
Tips for Growing Your Financial Advisory Business
- Let us be your organic growth partner. If you are looking to grow your financial advisory business, check out SmartAsset’s SmartAdvisor platform. We match certified financial advisors with right-fit clients across the U.S.
- Expand your radius. SmartAsset’s recent survey shows that many advisors expect to continue meeting with clients remotely following COVID-19. Consider broadening your search and working with investors who are more comfortable with holding virtual meetings or spacing out in-person meetings.
Photo credit: ©iStock.com/juststock