Matrix Capital Advisors
For nearly two decades, Matrix Capital Advisors has been providing investment advisory services on a fee-only basis. The financial advisory firm currently oversees more than $500 million in assets under management (AUM).
Matrix Capital Advisors Background
Matrix first opened its doors in 2000. It was founded by Christopher J. Burke and Michael D. Wik, who are the principal owners and investment advisors. In addition to them, there are four other employees.
What Types of Clients Does Matrix Capital Advisors Accept?
According to documents it recently filed with the SEC, Matrix works with the following types of clients:
- Individuals (high-net-worth and non-high-net-worth)
Matrix Capital Advisors Minimum Account Size
To establish an investment advisory relationship with Matrix, you generally need a net worth of at least $3 million. However, the boutique money manager may waive this requirement at its discretion.
Services Offered by Matrix Capital Advisors
Matrix builds and actively manages investment portfolios, rebalancing them if deemed appropriate based on current market conditions and investment outlooks. The firm typically begins its advisory phase by holding a meeting with clients in order to grasp the client’s financial profile. The advisor will take into account several different factors such as risk tolerance and investing goals. Next, the advisor will take that information to build a portfolio to meet those objectives.
Matrix Capital Advisors Investment Philosophy
Matrix doesn’t restrict itself to specific securities and considers the investment universe when building diversified portfolios. It may invest in the following:
- Exchange traded funds ("ETFs")
- Commercial paper, certificates of deposit, municipal securities
- United States governmental securities
- Corporate debt securities (other than commercial paper)
- Interests in partnerships investing in public and private securities and funds (e.g., "hedge funds" and "fund¬of-hedge-funds")
- Private equity investment funds
- Securities traded over-the-counter
- Foreign issuers
- Options contracts on securities
- Interests in partnerships investing in real estate
- Interests in partnerships investing in oil and gas interests
Fees Under Matrix Capital Advisors
Matrix charges asset-based management fees ranging from an annual 0.25% to 1.25%. The percentage depends on the complexity of the services rendered. This annual advisory fee doesn’t include other charges your account may face, such as fees from custodians, broker-dealers, hedge fund managers and other entities involved with your account.
What to Watch Out For
Matrix focuses on investment management and does not offer financial planning services. If you need an advisor to help you with your personal finances, this firm is probably not the right fit.
Matrix had no disclosures to report in its SEC filings.
Opening an Account With Matrix Capital Advisors
To contact Matrix call its office at 312-612-6100.
Where Is Matrix Capital Advisors Located?
You can find Matrix at 200 South Wacker Drive, Suite 680, Chicago, Illinois 60606.
Tips for Finding the Right Financial Advisor
- There are plenty of money managers who offer financial planning services. To start your search for one, use our five-minute matching tool. It links you with up to three advisors in your area, based on your financial needs and goals.
- Ask prospective advisors if they have any accreditations. Certified financial planners (CFPs), for example, hold themselves to high standards and work as fiduciaries. This means they are obligated to provide advice solely in their clients’ best interests.
All information was accurate as of the writing of this article.