Menu burger Close thin Facebook Twitter Google plus Linked in Reddit Email
Tap on the profile icon to edit
your financial details.
We maintain strict editorial integrity in our writing and assessments. This post contains links from our advertisers, and we may receive compensation when you click these links. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone and have not been provided, reviewed or otherwise endorsed by our advertising partners. Please visit our Advertiser Disclosure for more information and to view our partners.

Citi Double Cash Card Review

Your Details Done
by Updated
Citi Double Cash Card


Credit Needed: Excellent

The Citi Double Cash Card (a SmartAsset advertising partner) literally pays you twice – you earn 1% on every purchase and 1% when you pay for the purchase (so long as you keep up with minimum payments) for a total of 2% cash back. This makes it one of the highest flat rate cash back credit cards available. Plus, there are no caps on the total about of cash back you can earn. It’s also one of the clearest rewards cards on the market, offering straight cash back without points or bonus categories to worry about. You can simply shop as you normally would and get a great rewards rate.

The rewards are easy to use too. Once you accumulate at least $25 in cash back rewards, you can start redeeming. Cash back is redeemable by paper check, gift card, or a statement credit. The only drawback here is that you cannot receive cash back as direct deposit.

In addition to the great rewards rate and simple redemption, Citi Double Cash Card has no annual fee, making it a great place to start when it comes to a primary credit card. It also offers an introductory 0% APR deal. You will pay 0% on balance transfers for the first 18 months. The rate then is 13.99% - 23.99% Variable based on creditworthiness.

The main flaw of the Citi Double Cash Card is a lack of a welcome bonus. Most credit cards, even cash back-cards, usually offer bonus points or extra cash back when new customers open an account. While the DoubleCash card features an attractive rewards rate, it doesn’t offer any incentives upfront. There are also no higher cash back percentages on specific categories, which many other cash back cards offer. It’s really best for consumers with broad spending habits.

When it comes to Citi Double Cash Card, it all boils down to simple earnings, simple redemption and a high flat rewards rate with no category restrictions, no rewards caps and no annual fee.

Rewards and Benefits

  • Receive 2% cash back on all purchases. This breaks down to earning 1% when you buy and another 1% as you make payments for your purchases.
  • To be eligible to earn cash back you must pay the minimum due on your account, without paying late.
  • Low 0% Intro APR for the first 18 months on Balance Transfers. Afterward, the ongoing APR will be 13.99% - 23.99% Variable based on your creditworthiness.
  • Certain transactions do not earn cash back i.e. balance transfers, cash advances, items returned for credit, lottery tickets, and more.
  • Standard APR when taking part in the Citi Flex Plan is 13.99% - 23.99% Variable depending on creditworthiness.

Compare Similar Cash Back Offers

Requirements, Costs & Fees 

  • Purchase APR: 13.99% - 23.99% Variable APR depending on your creditworthiness and other factors.
  • Balance Transfer APR: 0% Intro APR for the first 18 months from the date of your first transfer, which must be completed within 4 months of opening your account. 13.99% - 23.99% Variable APR after the intro period, depending on your creditworthiness and other factors.
  • APR for Cash Advances: 25.24% Variable
  • Penalty APR: Up to 29.99% Variable
  • Annual Fee: $0
  • Balance Transfer Fee: $5 or 3% of the transfer amount, whichever is greater.
  • Cash Advance Fee: $10 or 5% of the transaction amount, whichever is greater.
  • Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.
  • Late Payment Fee: Up to $40
  • Returned Payment: Up to $40

Next Steps

  • Finding the right financial advisor that fits your needs doesn’t have to be hard. SmartAsset’s free tool matches you with financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. If you’re ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
  • Saving money is easier said than done, but having a high-yield savings account is a great start. To see what's available today, take a look at our overview of the top savings accounts.

Save more with these rates that beat the National Average
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to find savings account that fit your criteria. Please change your search criteria and try again.
Searching for accounts...
Ad Disclosure
Unfortunately, we are currently unable to find savings account that fit your criteria. Please change your search criteria and try again.
Searching for accounts...
Ad Disclosure