Editorial Note: This content is not provided by the credit card issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer.
Updated May 31, 2017
Overview: 0% intro APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers with no balance transfer fee for the first 60 days; Free FICO® Scores; No Annual Fee
Full Card Review
The Chase Slate® credit card is a low-penalty card that is great for those looking to pay down debt or find low introductory rates. Users receive a 0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months, with no penalty APR for missed payments. For anyone looking to transfer a large amount to a Chase Slate® card, it's best to take advantage of the 0% balance transfer fee in the first 60 days. After that, the fee jumps to either 5% of the transfer amount or $5, whichever is greater. If you're working with a foreign transaction, that fee is 3%.
In fact, if balance transfers are high on your credit card priority list, you're in luck: Chase Slate® has been consistently regarded as one of the best cards for balance transfers on the market.
The card might seem a little bare bones because it doesn't offer rewards points. So if rewards and cash back are what you're looking for, it's better to look elsewhere. But for getting back on track with debt, this is one of the top options out there.
After you transfer your debt, you'll have more than a year to pay it down before the APR changes. The 0% APR lasts for a generous 15 months, and after that the ongoing variable APR ranges from 16.99%-25.74% Variable.
The Chase Slate® card also comes with access to free FICO® score updates, per your consent. That's another incentive to keep your credit healthy and pay down your debt.
One obstacle you might run into is that you need very good credit to be accepted for this card. If you're interested in this card because you're carrying other debts that you hope to transfer over, you might run into issues with your credit.
But overall, this is a no-frills choice for paying down debt. With the 0% intro APR, initial 0% balance transfer fee and consistent access to your FICO® score, the Chase Slate® card can help you reach your debt-free dreams.
Rewards and Benefits
- $0 Intro balance transfer fee for the first 60 days your account is open. After that, the fee for future transactions is 5% or the amount transferred with a minimum of $5.
- 0% Introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers. After that, 16.99% - 25.74% variable APR.
- See monthly updates to your FICO® Score and the reasons behind your score for free
- No Penalty APR - Paying late won't raise your interest rate (APR). All other account pricing and terms apply
- $0 Annual Fee
Requirements, Costs & Fees
- Credit needed: Good, Excellent
- Purchase APR: 16.99%-25.74% Variable.
- APR for Cash Advances: 26.99% Variable% Variable.
- Cash Advance Fee: Either $10 or 5%. , whichever is greater.
- Penalty APR: None.
- Annual Fee: $0.
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 3% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $15 if the balance is less than $100; up to $27 if the balance is $100 to less than $250; up to $37 if the balance is $250 or more.
- Returned Payment: Up to $37.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by Chase. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Chase.
Advertiser Disclosure: The card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which SmartAsset.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). SmartAsset.com does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.