Published July 14, 2017
Overview: Earn 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets up to $6,000 in purchases (then 1%); Earn 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations.
Full Card Review
Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express (a SmartAsset advertiser) may be a good fit for those looking for big cash-back rewards with limited restrictions. As with other cash-back credit cards, users can earn 1% cash back on most purchases (fees or purchases of cash equivalents like traveler’s checks are not included). However, the true value of the Blue Cash Preferred® Card comes from the rewards it offers on U.S. supermarket, gas, and select department store purchases. Each year, users of the card can earn 6% cash back on their first $6,000 worth of purchases from U.S. supermarkets (1% afterward), which can amount to big savings for a frequent supermarket shopper. Moreover, you can earn 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations and 3% cash back on purchases at select U.S. department stores such as Macy’s or Bloomingdale’s. Shoppers who register also get the added benefit of return protection of up to $300 per purchase and $1,000 per year for eligible unused items that the seller refuses to refund.
With significant cash-back rewards, and the opportunity to earn up to $200 back, the American Express Blue Cash Preferred® Card may be well worth its $95 annual fee.
Rewards and Benefits
- Earn a $200 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) - that means spending $60 a week at U.S. supermarkets could earn over $180 back per year.
- 3% cash back at U.S. gas stations, 1% cash back on other purchases.
- You spoke, we listened. Over 1.6 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2018.
- Cash back is received in the form of Reward Dollars that can be easily redeemed for statement credits, gift cards, and merchandise.
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
Requirements, Costs & Fees
- Credit needed: Excellent, Good
- Purchase APR: 15.24%-26.24% Variable
- APR for Cash Advances: 27.49% Variable% variable.
- Balance Transfer Fee: $5 or 3%, whichever is greater.
- Cash Advance Fee: $5 or 3%, whichever is greater.
- Penalty APR: 29.99% variable.
- Annual Fee: $95.
- Foreign Transaction Fee: 2.7% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars.% of each transaction in U.S. dollars.
- Late Payment Fee: Up to $38.
- Returned Payment: Up to $null.
- See all Rates and Fees
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by the issuer. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the issuer.
Advertiser Disclosure: The card offers that appear on this site are from companies from which SmartAsset.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site (including, for example, the order in which they appear). SmartAsset.com does not include all card companies or all card offers available in the marketplace.
Disclaimer: The responses below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.